Capture the Colour Around the World

by Melissa on August 15, 2012 · 23 comments

**Since I’m halfway through the tales of my Nomad Adventure Tour from Cape Town to Victoria Falls, I figured I’d take the opportunity to mix it up just a bit! **

I’m not going to lie, when I started noticing all my favorite travel bloggers getting nominated for Travel Supermarket’s Capture the Colour contest, I was a bit envious – and kind of hoping someone would nominate me so I could also participate and share some of my own photographs.  The lovely Bobbi of Heels and Wheels was the one to finally nominate me – resulting in me having the arduous task of going through years and years worth of photos – something I wasn’t anticipating to be so hard!

As I mentioned, Travel Supermarket is the mastermind behind this amazing photography contest where travel bloggers are invited to share their best photos representing and interpreting each of the following colours: blue, red, yellow, green and white.  Up for grabs is £2000 for the overall winner – with the overall best photos in each of the 5 colour categories, or 1 of 5 3RD generation 32GB iPads for the best photo in each colour category!

BLUE

During a short weekend trip to Amsterdam in 2010, my friends and I decided to do one of those free walking tours around the city.  As we walked along Spuistraat – a street in central Amsterdam – our guide told us that at the moment many of the buildings were inhabited by squatters who moonlighted as graffiti artists, bringing the area of the city to life with beautiful bright colours, that seemed to just not fully fit in with the rest of historical Amsterdam.  I took this photo of the graffiti not knowing at the time how much this message would remind me of my visit to Amsterdam.  Later while watching the news, we noticed that as my friends and I ate our dinner, there were protests against a new law in effect that would ban squatting in the city- thus leaving many of the ‘residents’ on Spuistraat without a roof over their head.  This poignant message that I photographed earlier simply reinforced the message that the squatters were giving to the city officials.

RED

On my first trip to New Zealand I spent a lot of time wandering around the Dunedin Botanical Gardens.  This was taken in the rhododendron dell and seemed like the most perfect and inviting place to relax and reflect.  Don’t you agree?

YELLOW

While road-tripping around Australia’s South West Coast with 3 random backpackers I had met mere days before, we stumbled upon this gorgeous road sign in the middle of the karri tree forest between Margaret River and Augusta.  If you blinked you would have missed it – so thankfully when I noticed the unique sign I made sure we pulled over to get a few snaps.  This is such a whimsical shot with the massive trees in the background- it’s almost believable that there could be fairies or other creatures inhabiting the woodland.

GREEN

I am absolutely in love with this photo- even if the colour green doesn’t slap you across the face.  I took this when my overland tour from Cape Town to Victoria Falls stopped to visit the Himba people in Namibia.  Simon, a German traveler, was one of the first in our group to scoop up one of the beautiful children in his arms and you can see the look of joy in both their eyes.  It was such a special moment to capture – two people from different worlds coming together and sharing in the most delightful of embraces.

WHITE

These two lovely zebras were just as interested in looking at my travel group, as we were in photographing them.  Photographed in Etosha National Park in northern Namibia, it was my first time encountering these beautiful black and white creatures up close and in their natural habitat.

I hope you all enjoyed the photos I chose for the Capture the Colour contest, and I suppose it’s time for me to do some nominating!

Tag! You’re it!

Chris from Aussie on the Road

Hannah from Further Bound

Toni from Reclaiming my Future

Erin from The World Wanderer

Annie from Wayward Traveller

Bobbi Lee Hitchon August 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love them all and the stories behind them are great, especially the squatters in Amsterdam. I want to squat there. I have to say my favorite photo is the zebras. So cute. I’m eager to visit Africa. Really enjoy reading about your adventure there!
Bobbi Lee Hitchon recently posted..Win a Jucy roadtrip with HW’s relaunchMy Profile

Melissa August 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Bobbi! And thanks again for nominating me.

Simo August 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm

awesome

Melissa August 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm

thanks love! 🙂

Anne August 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Great selection of pictures. I am sure it wasn’t an easy task.
Good luck.

Melissa August 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

You will not believe how long I spent pouring over all of my photographs – even took out ye old external hard drive and went through all those pictures- there were a lot of finalists and a lot of ideas I had for making a theme… but in the end I think these photos best represented each colour/told an awesome story.

John August 15, 2012 at 11:41 pm

They’re all gorgeous photos, but the one that struck me the most is “red”. That fiery foliage up against the weathered grey bench … really striking.

Melissa August 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Thanks John! It’s an oldie but a goodie, at least in my eyes. The contrast is what really gets to me. Plus it reminds me of my first BIG travels by myself(ish)

Hayley August 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love love the green photo – what a beautiful moment you captured x
Hayley recently posted..Market Monday: E-Shed Markets in Fremantle, Western AustraliaMy Profile

Melissa August 15, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Isn’t it such a special photo? I adore it!

Paulina August 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Great pictures! I really like the one for green 😉

Melissa August 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Haha! I thought you may say that 😉 xx

Annette | Bucket List Journey August 17, 2012 at 3:23 am

All of them are lovely, but the red is my favorite because I wish I was sitting on that bench right now!
Annette | Bucket List Journey recently posted..Facing Pineapple Gluttony in Hali’imaile, HawaiiMy Profile

Melissa August 17, 2012 at 10:12 am

Thanks Annette! Like I mentioned in another comment… I love it not only cause of how inviting it looks, and the contrast of the colours, but because it reminds me of my first BIG trip to the other side of the world – all by myself! 🙂

Erik August 20, 2012 at 12:05 am

I agree that they are all great- but as an animal lover, I’m going with white as my favorite of the bunch! Too cute 🙂

I admire you going through all of your photos- when I did mine, I limited myself to just my New Zealand trip. Going through all of them would have proven an impossible task!
Erik recently posted..Goose Island Brewpub & TourMy Profile

Melissa August 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Erik! It was a mammoth task- but I wanted to get the photos I really thought did the colours justice. And I knew if I scoured through everything, I’d be able to find ones I was REALLY happy with. I was going to limit myself to a certain theme or locale, but in the end just couldn’t – but thats cool cause I’m pleased with how it turned out 🙂

Thanks again for the twitter RT!

Kieu ~ GQ trippin August 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

That last photo is incredible. I’d love to go to Africa one day. Great submissions!

Melissa August 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thanks Kieu! Definitely try to get Africa on your to-go-to list… it really is as magical and life-changing as everyone says it is! I love those little zebras… they’re just so adorable!

Steph | DiscoveringIce.com August 24, 2012 at 8:31 am

I can totally understand about taking so long to go through all your photos! I kinda became obsessed with finding the perfect pictures for my entry…took me a few day to decide which ones to go with haha!

Great photos, love the green, blue, and red! And yellow…haha, cant really choose! The stories are also great! best of luck in the comp!
Steph | DiscoveringIce.com recently posted..Meet ‘Baba Power’ – Is This The Happiest Man Alive?My Profile

Melissa August 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Thanks so much Steph, good luck with your contest entry too! At first I thought, oh this post will be a piece of cake! Then you’re right, I became obsessed with trying to find the perfect picture. Kate (of Canuckiwikate) and I would spend so much time sitting around going through pictures and be like “IS THIS BLUE?!” ” IS THIS RED?!” etc…

I must say… your WHITE is probably one of my favourites of all the ones I’ve seen!

Steph | DiscoveringIce.com August 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Haha totally get you! And thanks so much!! 🙂
Steph | DiscoveringIce.com recently posted..41 Fun and Interesting Facts About Mexico CityMy Profile

Steph | DiscoveringIce.com August 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

PS: i LOVE your site’s header! Did i say that already? haha I want…mine is lame! 😛

Melissa August 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Awww you are way too sweet! Yours is lovely! 🙂 I like that we both have the ‘poloroid’ look going on 🙂 Great minds think alike!