Seems to me that the thing that us bloggers tend to do on our birthdays is open up and share a little bit more about who we are outside of the travel and blogging worlds. In honour of my 26th birthday (or the 1st anniversary of my 25th birthday as I prefer to call it), here are some fun facts about me!
1. While growing up I put all of my extra time and effort into figure skating. I was quite competitive and even competed three times at the Canadian Synchronized Skating Championships – resulting in two bronze medals.
2. Knock on wood – I’ve never broken a bone. Despite being known as “Little Miss Clusterf**k” I’ve only ever sprained, strained, twisted, required stitches, and bled profusely.
3. The first time I ever went camping was when I was 24 and traveling through Australia. In the span of 3 weeks I camped around the Southwest Coast with three backpackers I randomly met, as well as bush camping along the Nullarbor Plain – with the Nullarbor Traveller tour– and further east as I traveled along the Great Ocean Road in a station wagon with two Frenchmen.
4. I’ve been to Walt Disney World in Florida 10 times – the most recent being when I was 23. It had been 10 years since my most recent visit. I’ve never been to any of the other Disney theme parks around the world, however.
5. When I was six weeks old I had an asthma attack and code blued (my heart stopped). Apparently they were ready to pronounce me dead but one young doctor kept trying to revive me and I eventually came right. That doctor went on to be my pediatrician until I was 16.
6. I only ever had one boyfriend in high school – an older boy that I had a crush on for over a year- and that relationship lasted a month. When he broke up with me I thought it was the worst thing in the world and moped around for months.
7. I’ve had very strange celebrity encounters. Brad Pitt elbowed my boob. Morgan Freeman tripped and I caught him. Colin Farrell denied me a photograph with him because he thought I was the paparazzi. Ryan Gosling predicted I would get sick. I was talking with my hands and accidentally smacked Elizabeth Banks across the chest as she walked by.
8. I have probably THE worst luck in relationships. I now repeat the mantra “Melissa, look at your life, look at your choices” before entering into any relationship.
9. Once in high school, while out drinking with my friends, I went to pee behind a building (classy, I know) and in my drunken stupor saw some people in the distance walking towards me, so I quickly tried to pull up my pants, but fell in my own puddle of pee.
10. When I was 16 I cut off most of my hair – it was down to my butt, and I cut it into a short bob. I then donated the hair to the Twilight Foundation – where they make wigs for kids with cancer.
11. I worked as a private investigator for a year. Realized it wasn’t for me because I had ethical issues with the job – so I quit.
12. In elementary school I wet my pants. Numerous times.
13. When I was little I wanted to be a whale trainer after watching Free Willy. Then I became obsessed with horses and wanted to be a jockey. That was of course, up until I realized that at the age of 12 and being 5’5″ I was probably already too big.
14. I was screwed out of a lot of money by someone who I once considered to be a good friend of mine. When I was going to Australia in 2010, my ‘friend’ backed out 3 weeks before the departure date and is still yet to pay up her share since I was stupid enough to book the plane tickets on my credit card. I’d really like my hard earned $1100 back. As a result, I will NEVER, EVER, EVER loan money to anyone, no matter what.
15. I’ve been invited to participate in an unusually large number of threesomes. NOTE: have politely declined all invites.
16. I have really long arms. I affectionately call them my ape arms. They’re not really knuckle-dusters, but Kate (from CanucKiwiKate) likes to think they are and she enjoys taking advantage of my height and long arms combination.
17. If you choose to go overseas – chances are I will come visit you. I have been known to travel the globe to visit my friends in faraway lands. Some of my overseas stalking has included visiting Lindsay in Scotland, Kate in New Zealand THREE times, my friends Sara and Bradford in two different places in Australia back in 2009, Jill in Sweden in 2010, and Katie in Hong Kong in 2011.
18. When I was young I would often spend my summer holidays living (for weeks at a time) at my maternal grandmother’s house. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to spend as much time with her while she was alive and have those memories of her teaching me how to cook authentic Sicilian dishes and watching the Young and the Restless with her.
19. When my family took a trip to Italy when I was 13, I shocked them by being able to tell them which direction we should be going in while we wandered around Rome. They were amazed at my incredible sense of direction – which to this day, hasn’t seemed to fail me yet.
20. I wore blue coloured contacts from the time I was 14-21. When I was 22 I had laser eye surgery – I know what burnt eyeball smells like. Inquire within.
21. I cannot waterski. I also cannot ski on snow. Nor can I rollerblade. All of these facts, people are astonished to learn since I was a figure skater for so many years.
22. I absolutely loathe the gym. I hate working out. I would much rather do an activity like swimming, figure skating, horseback riding or something a little more mentally stimulating than lift weights or run on a treadmill.
23. I was born with a hemangioma birthmark on my right cheek and by the time I was 2 years old it was the size of an egg and very dark red in colour. I was never really that self conscious about it – but I did get made fun of a lot. People would ask if I got hit in the face with this object or that. Adults were the worst; they probably assumed my parents beat me. I had it surgically removed through 3 plastic surgeries when I was 10, 11 and 13. As a result I do have a faint scar on my cheek, but most people don’t notice it.
24. I’m a huge bookworm. I love to read. Admittedly I haven’t read as much as I could have in the last few years. Looking forward to getting my new Kindle for Christmas so that I can amend that.
25. I am the eldest and 5 1/2 years older than my sister, Leanna, and we are two VERY, VERY, VERY different people. As we’ve grown older, I think that we have learned to better understand each other and have grown closer – but I think at the end of the day we will always want different things out of life.
26. I am the absolute happiest that I have ever been in my entire life. I am doing exactly what I want to be doing and living my dreams.
So there you have it, 26 fun facts about me in honour of my birthday. I’m all about being honest and open and I don’t think it gets much more honest and open than this post right here. I hope that these fun facts about me made you laugh, cry and cringe- I know I certainly did. Now time to get drunk and stop thinking about the fact that I’m getting old.