The Mellyboo Project was honoured with another award. The Liebster Blog Award. Never heard of it? Me either. After checking out what Andrea from Wandering iPhone, the lovely lady who nominated me, had to say I learned that the Liebster Blog Award is recognition and a virtual high five that is given to support, promote and encourage up-and-coming bloggers or blogs you like that you might have just discovered. Traditionally you’re supposed to promote bloggers with 200 or less followers, but I think it’s important to support everyone – so my nominees won’t necessarily follow this rule. Thanks Andrea for the award!
So the Liebster Blog Award works by you posting 11 random facts about yourself, then you answer 11 questions from the blogger that gave you the award, you nominate 11 other bloggers and then you ask 11 random questions of those nominated bloggers. Wow, that’s a lot of elevens. So let’s get started.
The Liebster Blog Award: 11 Random Facts
- In 2010 I took 21 separate flights, 2011 I took 12 separate flights and in 2012 I took 19 separate flights!
- I was supposed to be a twin, but my mom lost my other half in utero.
- I’ve been blogging in some way, shape or form since around 2003 – initially on LiveJournal.
- In grade 12 I participated in a 30hr famine to raise money for world hunger… I thought it was the most difficult 30hrs of my life. It was also the moment I realized I could never be anorexic.
- My 3 most visited airports have been Toronto Pearson International, Auckland International and Sydney Kingsford Smith International.
- While traveling alone in Paris, I basically survived off of cheese sandwiches.
- When I was around 5yrs old, I was playing road hockey with some of the boys in the neighbourhood and took a hockey stick to they eye. I ended up having a black eye and my daycare centre called Child Protective Services on my parents because they didn’t believe me when I told them the real story. Needless to say, my parents weren’t too impressed when a social worker came to the house to sit us all down.
- When I was very little I used to stay with my Sicilian grandparents while my parents used to work – at the age of 3 I was fluent in Italian. I wish I retained it.
- I lost my camera’s lens cap to a volcano on my trip to Hawaii.
- After watching the movie Twister, I wanted to become a tornado chaser. The dream hasn’t let up completely and it is now bucket list item number 55!
- I met a prince and princess. Prince Leonard and Princess Shirley from the Principality of Hutt River, during my trip up the western coast of Australia.
The Liebster Blog Award: My 11 answers to Andrea’s questions
- South East Asia, South America (specifically Machu Picchu), Mozambique for diving!
- I never leave home for a trip without my camera.
- A lot of people have inspired me to travel – especially Kate from CanuckiwiKate and Alicia from My Untethered Life – they were the two people who showed me it was entirely possible to go out there and see the world.
- It’s not a classic, but The Lost Girls: Three Friends, Four Continents, One Unconventional Detour Around the World by Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett and Amanda Pressner is the book that motivated me to finally get going!
- If I could go back in time to anywhere in the world, I would love to go to Paris during the Bohemian Revolution. Would be incredible to be amongst such creative people.
- Recently I’ve been hooked on the Africa miniseries done by the BBC. Really any National Geographic or documentary showcasing the beauty of the world is what inspired me to get out there and see the world with my own two eyes.
- Up until my recent upgrade, my camera has been a Nikon D40x with an 18-200mm lens. I upgraded to a Nikon D600 with a 28-300mm lens, and am really looking forward to bringing it on my upcoming trip to Africa.
- I think volunteering with lions was both the most adventurous and dangerous thing I’ve ever done. But it was also the most rewarding and soul-enriching experience of my entire life.
- My least favorite location would be Brisbane, Australia. I felt it just lacked character.
- I try to at least learn key words so that locals will see that I’m at least trying to make an effort.
- I prefer solo travel, that way I can do what I want, when I want, and how I want without compromise.
The Liebster Blog Award: Nominees
- Kate from Canuckiwikate
- Erik from On my Feet or In My Mind
- Beverley from Pack Your Passport
- Ryan from Just Chuckin’ It
- Ed from Rexyedventures
- Carmel & Shawn from The Journey Itself
- Jacqueline from 6 Months to Live
- Jenny from Jenny RTW
- Nienke from The Travel Tester
- Kristy from The Globetrotting Canuck
- Kyle from Kyle Goes Global
The Liebster Blog Award: Nominee Questions
- What is your favorite destination and why?
- Have you ever had a moment during your travels where you were stopped you in your tracks and got thinking of an issue much larger than yourself and your immediate travels? Where was it and what social issue/cause is close to your heart because of it?
- What’s been your worst hostel/hotel/accommodation experience?
- What is one thing you’ve done during your travels that you regret doing or spending the money on?
- Tours. Are you for or against them? Why/ why not?
- What are 3 essential travel items?
- What encouraged you to get out onto the road and start traveling?
- Why did you start blogging?
- How old were you when you went on your first international trip, and where was it?
- Do you have 1 piece of advice for new travelers?
- Do you prefer to travel alone or with others?
This is a great opportunity to get to know new bloggers and really participate in the blogging community. Thank you once again to Andrea for nominating me for the Liebster Blog Award and for letting me partake in this! It’s been heaps of fun. So in this world of self-promotion and dog-eat-dog lifestyles, let’s all take a few minutes to help promote each other and learn about some of the amazing people that are involved in the travel community!