The rumours are true!
I’m back in Canada after spending 88 days in the motherland (that’s Africa for those who’ve never been).
Since I’ve been back in the land of the True North Strong and Free for the last week, I’ve started reflecting on my time in Africa- and while I managed to post some photos of the highlights on my Facebook Page, I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me in terms of photo processing, video editing and blogging. I found this trip to be a bit more difficult than my last trip to Africa. Maybe it was the extra 5 weeks, maybe it was the places I was travelling to, maybe it was the fact that I had left my boyfriend back in Canada – perhaps it was a combination of all 3. Needless to say, I was ready to come home this time- I was physically, emotionally and mentally tired by the time October 8 rolled around. Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely loved my time in Africa and will forever cherish the memories I made, but it was definitely more of a challenge this time around.
Some of the quick highlights that you can look forward to reading about in the next few months:
- witnessed the Great Migration and a lion kill in the same day
- trekked with the wild mountain gorillas
- sponsored a beautiful 8yr old girl from Uganda
- spent 3 hours at the Nakuru Police Headquarters
- went on a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti at sunrise
- scuba dived in Zanzibar
- got malaria in Malawi
- was charged at by an elephant in the middle of the night
- sat on the ledge of Victoria Falls
- volunteered again at a lion conservation project
- fought a bush fire at midnight
- roadtripped along South Africa’s Garden Route
- traveled 7000+km overland
- took thousands of photos
The big question… Now that I’m back in Canada, what’s next?
To be honest, I’m not too sure.
Of course I’ll be spending the next few months talking all about my incredible time traveling through 7 African countries, overlanding with Nomad Adventure Tours and once again walking with lions while volunteering at Antelope Park. Beyond that? Who knows. There have been talks of trips to California, Southeast Asia, a potential weekend trip away… but nothing set in stone.
For now, I’m happy to have my own bed, a full wardrobe to choose from and lots of good food to cook and eat. Here’s to many more adventures and stories to share with you!