I owe you an apology.

by Melissa on March 19, 2014 · 16 comments

Where’s Melly been?! For those of you who have been following my site – you may have noticed a lack of updates for the last 7 weeks or so.  For that, I owe you an apology.  While I have tons of content that needs to be written I have found myself in a bit of a slump.  It’s been a combination of a lack of motivation and writers block has kept me from producing the content that I want to, and the content that you all deserve.
california I’ve recently returned from my amazing trip to California, only to come to the realization that I have no more travels planned.  In fact, I can’t even afford to think about going anywhere – and for someone who has set off wherever she wanted at a moment’s notice, it’s been a tough pill to swallow.  I feel as though I have nothing to look forward to, and I think I’ve finally started to understand what people talk about when they mention post-travel blues.
post travel blues
This is difficult for me to write, as I don’t want to come off as a complainer, however – I cannot continue to hide away and put off writing.  I owe it to my readers and to the companies I’ve worked with to produce the content I’ve promised.  In saying that, I’ve found myself in a rut – I feel as though my content is not being seen as much as it should be and that there is limited (if any) support and promotion coming from my current and past partnerships.

On top of these feelings, I have had to take a good hard look at myself and figure out what I ‘want to do with my life.’  I’ve proclaimed that I’ve been “Living Life on my own Terms” – however, my current bank account balance is quickly putting that type of thinking on hold.  I’ve been on the job search, desperately seeking employment that won’t kill my spirit or suck my soul dry.  Maybe I’m being too picky… I don’t know.  Unfortunately, travel blogging as my only source of income simply isn’t paying the bills or giving me any type of financial freedom to do the things that I both want and NEED to do.
woman_thinking_content
I am not saying that I’m packing in The Mellyboo Project – that is simply not the case.  But I need to be honest with myself and everyone who reads.  The Mellyboo Project isn’t going anywhere; I am pulling myself up by my bootstraps and have some new content that is nearly ready to share!

So hold tight – there are more travel stories, tips, and photos from my travels from all over the world coming at ya!  In the coming days and weeks I will be continuing to tell the story of my journey through East Africa with Nomad Adventure Tours, and then I will finally share with you highlights from my trip to California.
east africa tour
If you haven’t already – follow along on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get even more content that’s not available here!

Anne March 19, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Your writing is amazing and I miss not reading more on your adventurers. Looking forwad to reading up coming posts.

Meggie Kay March 19, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Don’t worry about it Melissa! I was going through something similar in the summer. I think it’s something that everyone deals with at some point. 🙂
Meggie Kay recently posted..Singapore Fine CityMy Profile

Melissa March 28, 2014 at 1:21 pm

It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one who feels this way from time to time. 🙂

Darcy March 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I’m looking forward to living vicariously through you again. 🙂

Melissa March 28, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Thanks D-Unit. More adventures will be posted as soon as possible 🙂

Erik March 19, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I wouldn’t be to hard on yourself. I’ve almost completely fallen off the map since TBEX last year. Things got complicated at work, which seriously reduced my free time. My blog (and the reading of the many, many travel blogs I like) were the first things to suffer. I’ve still only written about 6 days of my 24 day trip to Europe last spring. Since I’m a one big trip a year traveler, I usually try to finish posting about the previous trip before the next one. Alas, like you, I don’t really have anything planned. I had a trip mapped out for May or June, but there’s no way the work situation is going to be worked out by then, and it’s also unlikely that I’ll be able to raise the rest of the funds before then anyway. I always live with depression when I don’t have a trip to look forward to. I’m lucky to have a lot of good in my life, but it’s the promise of travel (even if it’s really far away) is what helps keep me content. I don’t have that now and it eats at me, and make it really hard each time I tell myself I should be blogging.

Don’t worry, it’s all cyclical- You’re an awesome and talented person- I’m sure you’ll find a plan and build toward your dreams, and you’re motivated enough to make them happen.
Erik recently posted..One More Amsterdam Photo EssayMy Profile

Melissa March 28, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Hey Erik,
I’ve missed you around the blogo-sphere! As I said in an earlier comment, it’s a bit of a comfort to know that others feel overwhelmed and unmotivated to write in their blogs as well. It’s just a slump though. For all of us. I think I’m definitely feeling what you said about feeling ‘depressed when I don’t have a trip to look forward to.’

I’ll get through it. Since posting this a week ago, there have been many positive steps forward. I’m trying to motivate myself again… so more posts are on the way.

Jess March 19, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I completely understand the rut you are in Melly. I have been suffering from post travel blues after our 6 months abroad. It’s always a bad feeling having no more trips booked in when you’re addicted to travel like us! But you WILL get there! I love reading your blogs no matter what they’re about! You are a brilliant writer and you’ll get past this dry patch 🙂

Melissa March 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Hey hun, I know it’s something we will both get through. Thanks for the continued support and for always lending me an ear. Love you! xo

Debbie March 21, 2014 at 10:19 am

Melissa, I love reading about your adventures, but I really enjoy reading about you! You are a very talented writer! Here’s a thought… While you are in between trips, why not think about writing a novel? You have all the knowledge of places in the world and you could create fascinating stories! Looking forward to reading more from you on your life’s journey….

Melissa March 28, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I would absolutely love to write a book one day – a memoir/novel. However, at this time, I need to focus on trying to get a job so I can make money so I can do that 🙂

One day 😉

john garofalo March 24, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Good to have you back for so long,hope you can show us all those photos with some good stories behind them.why not exhibit the best from your trip in a gallery.Maybe it is now a good time to get married.

Melissa March 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm

JOHN! Weddings cost money… and money is something I don’t have. Marriages also require stability from both parties… something I don’t have thanks to my nearly empty bank account and current residence being my parents basement… still.

More photos and posts are on the way! I’d love to exhibit my photos in a gallery one day. That’s the dream.

Toni March 26, 2014 at 3:08 pm

We’ve spoken in great length about this on Facebook hun so I won’t repeat myself. I’ll simply say that ‘this is life’. You only ever need to justify yourself and your decisions to you…we’ll all still be here waiting for whatever words you feel you’re ready to and want to write 🙂 xx
Toni recently posted..The day you get told you have an incurable illness…My Profile

Melissa March 28, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I know I don’t have to apologize… and I don’t need to justify myself. But I felt as though I should. I don’t want to be the blogger who disappears and goes and sulks in a corner for a few months, leaving her readers high and dry. The people who read my blog (besides my friends and family) have the right to the authentic me… and i just wanted to be truthful.

Thanks for your support and for always being there to listen to me 🙂 xoxo

Jarratt Horton April 5, 2014 at 5:45 am

Hi there,

I’ve just come across your blog and have subscribed to all future posts, so you can consider me a +1 on your readership 🙂

Good luck for the future

Jarratt